This post may have affiliate links. That means that if you shop via a link on this page I may receive compensation (at no extra cost to you). I also received this product in exchange for a review. However, all opinions are 100% my own.
Self-care is something that we should all practice on a regular basis. I am guilty of viewing self-care as an indulgence. But, as Audre Lord so eloquently stated:
Rather than being something that we remember to do every now and then, self-care should be part of our routine.
We should also embrace the fact that self-care doesn’t have to be something grand or expensive. It can be those little things we do every day that makes us feel good and happy.
Self-care can be reading a good book.
Self-care can be taking a nice, hot bubble bath or a really long shower.
Self-care can be going out to eat at your favorite restaurant.
Self-care can be going to the movies to see something you’re excited about.
Self-care can be hanging out with your friends over a homecooked meal.
Self-care can be getting a massage or a mani/pedi.
Self-care can be whatever you want it to be!
The Benefits of Self-Care
Not only does self-care just feel nice, it also has numerous additional benefits.
- It sets a standard for yourself. When you make it a practice to engage in self-care, it becomes your normal rather than being seen as an indulgence.
- It sets a standard for others. When you make it a priority to take time to take care of yourself, it sends a message to others that you value yourself. You’d be surprised how differently people may treat you when they realize this.
- It helps you relax. Taking time to take care of yourself can be a relaxing thing.
- It helps prevent chronic stress. One of the benefits of relaxation is that it can serve as a buffer against chronic stress.
- It helps you deal with stress better. In addition to helping to protect you against stress, self-care can also prepare you to deal with stress better. If you’re constantly stressed out, when something else stressful happens, you may feel overwhelmed. However, if you manage your stress, then when something unavoidable happens, you are in a better emotional (and even physical) space to handle it.
- It enables you to care for others better. As they say, you can’t pour from an empty cup. The better that you take care of yourself, the better you can take care of your loved ones.
- It makes you happier. Overall, consistent self-care can result in a happier (and healthier) you.
One form of daily self-care that I love is taking a long hot shower. I usually bring my computer in the bathroom with me so that I can play my favorite music on Spotify. Lately, it has been a playlist that includes a lot of Disney songs, some of my favorite songs from Rent, and a lot of Bruno Mars. Basically songs that I can sing at the top of my lungs, lol.
I also have an AromaSense Luxury Shower Head installed that makes the shower even more relaxing. This shower head includes an Aroma Vitamin C cartridge that has some cool benefits:
Vitamin C Replenishment
The cartridge contains a Vitamin C concentrate (I got lemon). Among the many amazing benefits of vitamin C, among them are that it can help you have healthier skin and hair. Yes and yes!
The natural aroma oils provide an invigorating scent, which is always nice. I could already smell it before I even stepped into the shower. And of course, some of the benefits of aromatherapy include reduced anxiety, alleviation of depression, and an increase in energy.
Increases Water Pressure
The water pressure of this shower head is so much better than the one it replaced! Yall, it feels GOOD! I couldn’t help just running my fingers through the water because it felt like a little massage made up of hundreds of streams of water. The shower head was also simple to install, which is important for me. I didn’t need any special tools.
Reduces Chlorine from Shower Water
We all know that there is chlorine in pools. And considering how often parents remind children to take a shower and wash their hair after swimming, I assue that most people know that it has some hazards. However, not everyone (including myself until recently) realizes that there can be a significant amount of chlorine in the water in our homes. Levels that can cause our skin to become irritated and dry, that can cause our hair to become weak and brittle, that can irritate our lungs, and that can even lead to serious health conditions. Thankfully, vitamin C has been shown to safely reduce chlorine in shower water. I don’t know about you but that is a definite plus.
Generates Additional Negative Ions
The shower head generates up to 421,000 negative ions (similar to a waterfall). Negative ions are believed to increase levels of serotonin (the happiness hormone), relieve stress alleviate depression, and provide a boos of energy.
You can check out the shower head I have in action in this quick one-minute video.
Speaking as a mom, I think that this would be a great gift for Mother’s Day. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. You could pair it with something like a music CD so that they can sing along to their favorite songs while indulging in a bit of aromatherapy. (I know I’m not the only one who does that!) If you want to be extra nice, you can buy them replacement cartridges as well. In addition to lemon, they have mango, eucalyptus, lavender, and jasmine. They also have a neutral option for those who want the benefits of the vitamin C without the scent. If you go with the handheld shower head, they also have replacement cartridges for that.
If you’d like to implement a bit of aromatherapy into your daily routine, you can find a variety of shower head and fragrance options on the AromaSense website. You can also order one on Amazon by clicking on the image below. Also be sure to follow them on Facebook.
What is your favorite form of self-care? Let me know in the comments below.